- Dr. Kaitlyn Zorn ND
Naturopathic Support for Men's Health
Updated: Nov 10, 2022
As we pass through November, which is also known as "Movember", it is a good time to reflect on particular men's health concerns and what Naturopathic medicine may have to offer. Why is it important to address men's health? Its been shown that men are less likely to report health concerns than women, and less likely to access complementary care such as naturopathic medicine.
According to Clinical Advisor, the top men's health concerns are:
- Liver disease
- Cardiovascular disease
- Respiratory illnesses (Lung Cancer)
- Alcohol use (increase the risk of cancer of the esophagus, mouth and throat, and also impacts hormone function)
- Depression and mental health (this shows up more as irritability and fatigue than in women)
- Musculoskeletal and other injuries (accidents, sports injuries, workplace incidents, concussions)
- Prostate conditions (Benign Prostate Hyperplasia, Prostate Cancer)
- Testicular conditions (Infertilty, Testicular Cancer, Sexual difficulties)
- Chronic Pain and Arthritis
Example Protocol for Benign Prostate Hyperplasia (BPH):
1. Incorporate hormone balancing foods such as:
- Pumpkin seeds (zinc is helpful for reducing androgens responsible for BPH)
- Ground flax seeds (binds estrogen receptors to balance out excess estrogen and also promote healthy bowel movements)
2. Limit alcohol, caffeine and red meat
3. Use supplements/herbal remedies like Saw Palmetto. There are many others that work similar to alpha inhibitors (ex. Tamulsin/Flomax)
Movember often promotes the "tough man mentality", however it is known that mens mental health is often not given enough attention due to society's culture promoting masculinity and lack of emotion.
If you or someone you know is struggling, it is important to seek help and support. Men's mental health may look different than women, and depression may not be the low, down-and-out picture seen in someone with clinical depression. And if this is the case, its often not shown or seen by others.
Example Protocol for Depression:
1. Incorporate mood-boosting foods such as salmon, berries, turkey, eggs, green tea, dark chocolate and leafy greens.
2. Have a regular walking or exercise routine
3. Use supplements such as Fish oils, Vitamin D and Magnesium
4. Create healthy coping strategies (change reliance on drugs/alcohol to other sustainable habits)
Disclaimer: Consult with a medical provider before incorporating any supplements
Are you a young or middle-aged man looking for complementary health support? Or are you a partner/parent looking for solutions for your loved ones? Book a consult below or schedule a Complementary 15 Minute Discovery call by emailing email@example.com
In Best Health,